(What Is Your SEO Strategy? - Day 1 of 7) Why You Need A Solid SEO Strategy And A Way To Measure Results
Jan 12, 2022
Trying to get traffic to your website without a solid plan is a bit like driving around with a vague destination in mind but no directions on how to get there. You may eventually make your way to where you want to be, but it will take a lot longer and require more effort than if you had your route mapped out.
The same applies to website traffic in general and search engine optimization in particular. With a solid strategy, you will have a goal in mind and a plan for what to do to get there. It's good to have a plan even if you're new to SEO and don't quite understand what it will take to get a particular keyword ranking or even a realistic keyword goal. You can always tweak and adjust your schedule and strategy as you go along.
When you have a workable strategy with defined goals and a way to track your results over time, it becomes easy to determine if your plan is working. Without either of those, you're guessing at best, and that's not a good business practice. Search engine optimization takes time and effort. And if you're hiring someone to help you, it can involve quite a bit of money.
So, where do you start? Learn the basics of how SEO works. Set up a good Website Analytics program so you can begin to measure what traffic you're getting now and where new traffic is coming from. Google Analytics is a great program that will grow with you. Install it, look through the reports, start to learn to use it, and expand your knowledge as you go along.
Your next step will be to formulate a strategy. This should be a five-step process that includes:
1. Determine your ideal target audience.
2. Figure out what they are looking for and what keywords and key phrases they use.
3. Generate high-value content around those terms.
4. Implement on-page and on-site optimization.
5. Track results and adjust as needed.
From there, you can expand on what's working, identify more audiences, more terms, and create more content, and slow down on what isn't working. One important thing to keep in mind is that search engine optimization takes time and that you're building your site's reputation with the big search engines over time. Don't give up on your strategy too soon, and whatever you do, don't throw in the towel.
Future articles to look forward to in this series:
- Keywords - A Glimpse Into What Your Target Audience Wants And Needs
- Is Your Site Trustworthy? Simple Ways To Boost The Trust Factor That's Becoming More And More Important For Ranking
- Boost Your Authority And Make Sure Google And Your Users Take You Seriously
- How The Small Guy Can Win - Relevancy Matters
- Let's Talk About User Behavior And What It Has To Do With SEO Rankings
- Putting It All Together And Formulating A Solid SEO Strategy For Your Site And Your Business